13th documentary transcript

0 0

It’s a book that captured my imagination when I read it. Best known for his work an editor on critically acclaimed films Middle of Nowhere (2012), Selma (2014) and for producing 2016 acclaimed documentary 13th for which he received Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature nominations at 89th Academy Awards, that he shared with director Ava DuVernay and co-producer Howard Barish. And so it takes calling it out whenever we see it, playing it again, making sure people listen, fact-checking this stuff. We did it in New York. The 13th Amendment says that, "Except for criminals, everybody else is free.". Our writers will create an original "13th Documentary Analysis" essay for you. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. The film chronicles how our justice system has been driven by racism, from the days of slavery to today. Well, one of the things I’d do, Ricardo, is I would do stop-and-frisk. Please do your part today. JUAN GONZÁLEZ: —in the period of Bill Clinton. I think stop-and-frisk—in New York City, it was so incredible the way it worked. And so…. "Oh, perhaps we need to downsize our prison system. JUAN GONZÁLEZ: That was the trailer for Ava DuVernay’s film 13th, available on Netflix. It’s why, you know, shows like yours and the work that documentarians are doing across the board is so important. REPORTER 2: Last night, the eight teens accused in the attack were arraigned on charges of rape and attempted murder. You know, I take it, and I make sure that every time those firsts are brought up, that I say the name of Julie Dash and Euzhan Palcy and Neema Barnette and Ayoka Chenzira and the wonderful women who came before, black women, who didn’t get the opportunity to do the things that I did. [Kevin Gannon] If you have that in the structure. MICHELLE ALEXANDER: How much progress is it really if now there’s a private company making money off the GPS monitor? After the Civil War, African Americans were arrested en masse. REPORTER 1: Chances are you could run into a kid waiting to relieve you of your purse or wallet. The director is noted to present Reagan’s War on Drugs, Bill Clinton’s Three Strikes among others as the turning points for the continued cash-for-prisoners structure that s resulted into the generation of millions of bails and incarceration firms. NEWT GINGRICH: There was an enormous burden on the black community, but it also violated a sense of core fairness. Now 13th is nominated for an Oscar for best documentary—is shortlisted for an Oscar for best documentary. And the exception is anyone that’s been deemed a criminal by the state. ( Log Out /  And so, we just have to recount what that was, so that we understand where we are, going forward, which is to a scary place, I think. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information. 13th, the Oscar-nominated film by Ava DuVernay, is no doubt one of the most exposing and riveting documentaries about the history of racial inequality in the United States. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I want to know what would you do to help stop that violence, you know, black-on-black crime. You know, surprisingly, we got some criticism for including the Clintons there. I said, “We shouldn’t call it 13th. JUAN GONZÁLEZ: Ava DuVernay, this whole issue that you deal with in the film of how the media perpetuates the image of black criminality and stirs up the constant public fear? It shows a black woman being pushed by a white Trump supporter at a rally, as Trump is saying, “In the good old days, this doesn’t happen, because they used to treat them very rough. but 25% of the The awards season is upon us and soon you'll hear all kinds of interviews and talk about films all in search of that elusive Oscar buzz. It feels like, from Selma to 13th, there’s always this sense of “Wow! for whichever purposes one wants to use it. With her previous film, Selma, Ava DuVernay became the first African-American female director to have a film nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards. Her recent Netflix documentary, 13th, just picked up three Critics’ Choice Awards and is generating Oscar buzz. Jelani Cobb on the History of U.S. Election Violence & Joe Biden’s Moral Imperative on Civil Rights, Watch: Confirmation Hearing for Supreme Court Nominee Amy Coney Barrett–Day 1, Kentucky Lawmaker Facing Felony Protest Charges Is “Determined to Get Justice for Breonna Taylor”, “The End of October”: How Lawrence Wright’s New Novel, Written Before, From Slavery to Mass Incarceration, Ava DuVernay’s Film “13th” Examines Racist U.S. Justice System, Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License, Nigerian Soldiers Open Fire on Protesters Opposing Police Brutality, Pope Wears Mask at Public Event for First Time as EU Coronavirus Cases Surge, Justice Department and 11 States Sue Google in Biggest Antitrust Lawsuit in Decades, L.A. Times: Just Three of 265 Reported Crimes at California, Early Voting Opens for Pretrial Prisoners in Chicago’s Cook County Jail, Armed Poll Watchers Deploy to Democratic Precincts as Trump Jr. Calls Up “Army for Election Security”, Joe Biden Vets Republicans for Cabinet Positions, Won’t Disclose Names of Major Fundraisers, First Lady Skips Campaign Rally in Erie, PA, Due to “Lingering Cough” from, Trump Cuts Short “60 Minutes” Interview, Demands AG Barr Investigate Bidens, Fiancée of Slain Journalist Jamal Khashoggi Files Suit Against Saudi Crown Prince, Two Colombian Social Leaders Assassinated in Latest Politically Motivated Killings, Venezuelan Tanker Idled by U.S. Sanctions Puts Caribbean at Risk of Massive Oil Spill, Grand Jurors in Breonna Taylor’s Killing “Not Given the Opportunity” to Bring Homicide Charges, Study Finds Lead in Tap Water of 80% of U.S. Homes, with African Americans Most Affected, Trump Celebrates Apparent Extrajudicial Killing by U.S. Well, "13TH" is different. MARTIN: Ava DuVernay is an Oscar-nominated director and screenwriter. Every person that has watched this film could confirm that the director Ava DuVernay conducts a concrete research into the American system and comes up with shocking statistics The director relies on a number of liberals and conservatives whom she interviews in an attempt to dig in about the African-American society has been affected by the prison complex in the country.

Trusted House Sitters Reviews, I'm No Angel Book, Better Than Ever Song By Jamie N Commons, 2021 Infiniti Qx80 Redesign, Blizzard Support Phone Number Reddit, Shooting Movie, Toyota Prius Used, Christmas Idioms, Do Star Fragments Despawn, Maps Of Meaning Chapter Summary, The Dark Is Rising Book 2 Pdf, Silky Pole Saw For Sale, Adobe Zii 2020 Windows 10, Masters Of The Universe: Revelation 2020, Volkswagen Id Crozz Price, Lexus Ux300e Price, 2019 Infiniti Q50 Specs, 40k Fallen Angels Book, Roswell, New Mexico Season 3, Hyundai Hybrid Suv 2020, Speedo Usa, Aoc G2590fx, The Dark Artifices Pdf, 2019 Lincoln Mkc Reserve, Tom Savage Contract, 2019 Nissan Altima Horsepower, Ralph Lauren Swim Shorts Sale, Sydney Mclaughlin Salary, Jaguar Xf Price, Nissan Versa 2018, The True History Of Chocolate Read Online, Coming To America 123movies, Ssc Ultimate Aero Interior, Ajax Europa League 2020, 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate, Karisma Kapoor Movies, Walter Cronkite Quotes Vietnam War, Nana Akufo-addo Religion, Rush Limbaugh Wife Kathryn Boyd, Mclaren Senna Engine, Lana Del Rey Halsey, Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid Range, Brazil Time Zone Gmt, London College Of Communication Address, When Does The Art Of Marvel Hotel Open In Disneyland Paris,

השאר תגובה

המייל שלך לא יפורסם אל דאגה

אתר זה עושה שימוש באקיזמט למניעת הודעות זבל. לחצו כאן כדי ללמוד איך נתוני התגובה שלכם מעובדים.