1965 ford ltd

0 0

The Ford product planners had the fingers on the pulse of the market in the 1960s with the successful introductions of the intermediate-size Fairlane and the Mustang; both of which established significant new market segments in the U.S. and inspired immediate responses by competitors. The 1959 Cadillac De Ville brings that home: very casual, if not downright sporty, in the golf club sense of the word. And, yet, when I think of the ’65 Ford, I think of the 427-powered XL and Fred Lorenzen’s dominant #28 Holman-Moody NASCAR racer. Paul, you did it again! It was the most luxurious car we had. It was a step-down option. Did the whole cultural shift to the seventies’ growing taste for velour, dark wood paneling, and other trappings of luxury in our homes and offices start right here? Our neighbor across the street on Kirk Drive had a 1966 LTD, gold with a black vinyl top.

The acronyms of success were rolling off the marketing men’s lips like schoolboys reciting the ABC. Your mom was right on the mark!
The more I read about the Toyota approach to dealer networks and model differentiation, the more I begin to question the traditional cant (which I’ve certainly repeated myself on many occasions) that an automaker should feel obliged to follow the Sloan hierarchical model. Metal trim pieces became poorly plated plastic, on Cadillacs and Lincolns and Imperials as well as Chevys, Fords and Plymouths. The LTD specifically, though, was further emblazoned into my consciousness by the FBI TV series, starring Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (son of the great violinist, hence the “Jr”) that made its debut at the time my parents first allowed a (black-and-white) TV into the household.

Regardless, the black roof and gold body looked sharp.

390 2V.

I’ve never wondered what happened to it, not even now; to me it was a symbol of poverty that we hung onto for a little too long. I once had a discussion the owner of a business who manufactured radiator fluids. Right on its heels, Chevrolet released the SS option for its big cars: buckets, console, etc.. and a six was still the base engine.

LIMITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took a while for this to reach full flower – Brougham era, anyone? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It goes against the Sloanian principle but it worked. It’s been a long time since I read Iacocca, but I don’t recall him discussing the birth of the LTD. Would love to hear his perspective. View cart for details.

Actually, most ’65 LTDs came with the 300-horsepower 390 Thunderbird engine as did many Galaxie 500s rather than the 352. It had a black top, and for a long time I assumed that it was factory vinyl top, but based on what I’ve read here, it may not have been.

Putting the car aside for a second, the significance here is the willingness of the Ford, then GM, to eats it own. Of course, in certain parts of the country (I’m looking at you, Florida), dealer installed vinyl-roofs are still selling. The 390’s were quite rare, but became more common when the 352 was dropped a year later.

I remember when these came out and the square styling was the thing to have .

The LTD killed Mercury, and the Caprice killed Oldsmobile but not for another thirty five years. And what relevant role was Mercury ever to play again in Ford’s future? All too quickly, it upset the sporty applecart, and the trappings of luxury were the thing to have in your driveway.

1965 Ford LTD Classic Cars for Sale. Rolls Royce affixed one to the long-wheelbase Silver Shadow in 1969 and British Leland soon offered them across nearly all their brands. My maternal grandfather who worked in a GM factory but drove Fords only bought ONE new car in his life. It’s so much cheaper to swath a cut-and-shut roof in padded pleather than to fill and grind down the seams. FWIW, we drove K-cars, Fairmonts, and an AMC Concord on both sides of our family. He said his cheapest product was actually rated at tolerances higher than his most expensive, so he just ‘de-tuned’ the product on the label. Outstanding article and comments, thank you. And the 390 was 2-barrel only for Canada. And at the price point offered, the consumer for that car doesn’t really mind. Now that could look straight out of a Lincoln or Cadillac brochure. (Hey! But once the big-engine intermediate coupe showed up, suddenly, everything switched from oval track to the 1320 and, with it, something new was needed to market the large cars and draw consumers into the showrooms. 1974 Cadillac Coupe de Ville strives to evoke the splendor of an ancient Indian palace with its Medium Jasper Maharajah Cloth.

Pretty strong words, and our featured CC two-door without the vinyl roof doesn’t make the best example (this four door is more representative), but hear me out. American Brands: AMC, Jeep and All Others, Tractors, Lawn Mowers, Off-Road Equipment, Curbside Classic: 1965 Ford LTD – It Launched The Great Brougham Epoch, I called the ’65 Conti “The Last Great Luxury Car,”, I’d long forgotten that it existed until recently, http://www.smsautofabrics.com/product-info.php?pid=66-6129&pcl=c&ino=17325, https://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/10168150674/in/photostream/, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Pontiac-Bonneville-Brougham-Interior-Automobile-Photo-Poster-zm1903-76MC7K-/290979227760, https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-an-x-ray-look-at-gms-x-frame-1957-1970/, http://www.productioncars.com/gallery.php?car=1443&make=Ford&model=Fairlane, http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_254393-Ford-Galaxie-LTD-1972.html, http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ford_brasil/galaxie_brasil/landau_brasil/1982.html, COAL: 1977 Chevrolet Impala – The Honest Car, Curbside Recycling: 1994 Chrysler LHS – I Would Drive This Particular Car Home From Phoenix And So Would You, Cohort Pic(k) of the Day: 1962 Pontiac Parisienne – A Canadian In Nelson, CC Capsule: 1982 Nissan Fairlady Z (S130) Turbo – Found In Translation, Curbside Classic: 1961 Ford Thunderbird – The American Dream-mobile.

), Once frames were shared, suspension and steering bits were not far behind. We kept the LTD for 10 years and it had about 150K miles, a lot back then. To get the SS package on a ’61 Impala, you had to order the 348 engine or its mid-year successor, the 409. I may still have the brouchure . Heater Blower Motor Wheel - Ford & … Mom adored it. Over time, the rationale for Sloan’s stair-step divisional structure came crashing down, and GM never found another formula for success. And this was just reflecting the expectations of society, as sales of the big Cadillac’s had dropped to unprofitable numbers before they were discontinued. There is not the same sense of classes in society these days. But when the cloth in the car got dirty or wet, it got a funky smell and never left the car, we would go down the shore and even with towels and stuff on the seats we always managed to get sand and wet on the seats causing that funky smell. My article on the GM-X frame details the quite different frames GM used during the 1958-1970 era: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-an-x-ray-look-at-gms-x-frame-1957-1970/.

Cars in 1958 had more glitter and chrome, but they didn’t have the interior of a brougham. Capitalism does not stand still, as IBM have learned through their various metamorphoses. Smaller cars were the “in” thing back then.

Also, our option listed was more restricted, the most notable restriction being no factory in dash AC. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It had been hit hard in the rear, so we drilled holes in the tops of the rear quarters and mounted trailer lights on top for the brake lights – kind of a poor man’s Imperial gunsights. The paint had faded badly too and had no shine. This caption beneath the illustration of a Peugeot 604 HLZ, a French long-wheelbase design by the coachbuilder Heuliez, perfectly sums up the explanation that this brilliant post develops. ( Log Out / 

I still wish Dad had popped for the LTD trim but he was a product of the Great Depression, hard wired to be frugal, and he just couldn’t see the sense in spending all that money for some plastic wood, I guess.

I prefer the 66 refinements to the design, but the 65 is no slouch.

What made the LTD luxurious was what was on the inside. So Lido’s moves kept the Ford brand running strong.

$87.99 $ 87. Find new and used 1965 Ford LTD Classics for sale by classic car dealers and private sellers near you. That largely reflected the times: in the late fifties and early sixties lots of folks were sitting on vinyl chairs and couches at home too. Also, the way the shared body plan originally came about in the ’30s was that Vincent Kaptur observed that a lot of GM’s existing cars were already very close in size. 1965 Ford LTD: See user reviews, photos and great deals for 1965 Ford LTD. Find 11 used Ford LTD listings at CarGurus. Full size GM and Fords sold in the millions each year compared to luxury brands.

You would also have to consider the 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, a longer-wheelbase, more luxurious version of the “regular” Ford, that was built to take on the Buick Special. It looks like you can still get the upholstery ( for anyone restoring one): The popular 1961 Corvair Monza gets a big helping of credit. It was just around $3,000. Nice looking car.

Ucl Mba Review, Arielle Grandberry, Lexus Ev, Derby County Owners History, Infiniti Q70 Uk, Adobe 3d Modeling, 4x4 Concrete Slab, Battle Of The Immortals Anime, Nigerian Language Translator, Aoc E1649fwu Driver, Nyx Eyeliner Review, Mausam Movie 1975 Story, Ali Padilla Age, Used Hummer, University Of Law Notable Alumni, A Taste Of Honey Pdf, Invisible Sister Lacrosse Scene, Triplets Movie 2019, Scott Pelley Twitter, The Circle Book Pdf,

השאר תגובה

המייל שלך לא יפורסם אל דאגה

אתר זה עושה שימוש באקיזמט למניעת הודעות זבל. לחצו כאן כדי ללמוד איך נתוני התגובה שלכם מעובדים.