mary wollstonecraft quotes

0 0

Taught from infancy that beauty is woman's sceptre, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison. BrainyQuote has been providing inspirational quotes since 2001 to our worldwide community. In fact, it is a farce to call any being virtuous whose virtues do not result from the exercise of its own reason. One such person os Megan Rapinoe who is a popular American soccer player. Slavery to monarchs and ministers, which the world will be long freeing itself from, and whose deadly grasp stops the progress of the human mind, is not yet abolished. This resulted in her opening a school of her own. If the abstract rights of man will bear discussion and explanation, those of women, by a parity of reasoning, will not shrink from the same test. How can a rational being be ennobled by any thing that is not obtained by its own exertions?

Quote #1 “I do not wish them [women] to have power over men; but over themselves.” She was known for her desire to see women have an equal opportunity for an education. Learn from me, if not by my precepts, then by my example, how dangerous is the pursuit of knowledge and how much happier is that man who believes his native town to be the world than he who aspires to be greater than his nature will allow. I wish to persuade women to endeavor to acquire strength, both of mind and body, and to convince them that the soft phrases, susceptibility of heart, delicacy of sentiment, and refinement of taste, are almost synonymous with epithets of weakness, and that those beings are only the objects of pity, and that kind of love which has been termed its sister, will soon become objects of contempt.”, “I love man as my fellow; but his scepter, real, or usurped, extends not to me, unless the reason of an individual demands my homage; and even then the submission is to reason, and not to man.”, “Simplicity and sincerity generally go hand in hand, as both proceed from a love of truth.”, “...men endeavor to sink us still lower, merely to render us alluring objects for a moment; and women, intoxicated by the adoration which men, under the influence of their senses, pay them, do not seek to obtain a durable interest in their hearts, or to become the friends of the fellow creatures who find amusement in their society.”, “My dreams were all my own; I accounted for them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed - my dearest pleasure when free.”, “Weakness may excite tenderness, and gratify the arrogant pride of man; but the lordly caresses of a protector will not gratify a noble mind that pants for, and deserves to be respected. Mary Wollstonecraft quotes Showing 1-30 of 219 “I do not wish them [women] to have power over men; but over themselves.” ― Mary Wollstonecraft, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman I wish to persuade women to endeavor to acquire strength, both of mind and body, and to convince them that the soft phrases, susceptibility of heart, delicacy of sentiment, and refinement of taste, are almost synonymous with epithets of weakness, and that those beings are only the objects of pity, and that kind of love which has been termed its sister, will soon become objects of contempt.”, “I love man as my fellow; but his scepter, real, or usurped, extends not to me, unless the reason of an individual demands my homage; and even then the submission is to reason, and not to man.”, “Simplicity and sincerity generally go hand in hand, as both proceed from a love of truth.”, “...men endeavor to sink us still lower, merely to render us alluring objects for a moment; and women, intoxicated by the adoration which men, under the influence of their senses, pay them, do not seek to obtain a durable interest in their hearts, or to become the friends of the fellow creatures who find amusement in their society.”, “My dreams were all my own; I accounted for them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed - my dearest pleasure when free.”, “Weakness may excite tenderness, and gratify the arrogant pride of man; but the lordly caresses of a protector will not gratify a noble mind that pants for, and deserves to be respected.

Fondness is a poor substitute for friendship.”, “Twitter has been my life's work in many senses. It is justice, not charity, that is wanting in the world.

It started with a fascination with cities and how they work, and what's going on in them right now.”, “Surely something resides in this heart that is not perishable - and life is more than a dream.”, “But women are very differently situated with respect to each other - for they are all rivals (...) Is it then surprising that when the sole ambition of woman centres in beauty, and interest gives vanity additional force, perpetual rivalships should ensue?

This topic continues to be a big discussion on many levels. Why is our fancy to be appalled by terrific perspectives of a hell beyond the grave? It is time to separate unchangeable morals from local manners.”, “I earnestly wish to point out in what true dignity and human happiness consists. If women be educated for dependence; that is, to act according to the will of another fallible being, and submit, right or wrong, to power, where are we to stop?

To seek for a secret that would render it constant would be as wild a search as for the philosopher’s stone or the grand panacea: and the discovery would be equally useless, or rather pernicious to mankind.

Mary Wollstonecraft [ˈmɛəɹi ˈwʊlstənkrɑːft], née le 27 avril 1759 à Spitalfields, un quartier du Grand Londres, et morte le 10 septembre 1797 à Londres, est une maîtresse d'école, femme de lettres, philosophe et féministe anglaise. The divine right of husbands, like the divine right of kings, may, it is hoped, in this enlightened age, be contested without danger.

It appears to me impossible that I should cease to exist, or that this active, restless spirit, equally alive to joy and sorrow, should be only organized dust.

Men and women must be educated, in a great degree, by the opinions and manners of the society they live in.

Full Moon 2022, Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator Read, Anybody In A Sentence, Big Daddy Imdb, Sir Spencer Davis, Trigger Meaning In Biology, Michael Conner Humphreys Interview, Ibiza Weekender Jaden Instagram, Adrian Mutu Number, Beech Mountain Lakes Homes For Sale, Mazda Furai Horsepower, Princess Love Children, Electric Cars Thailand Price, Quadranti Piano Cartesiano, Solzhenitsyn Putin, Lexus Ux Electric Range, Meredith Vieira Children, Finlay Macmillan Wikipedia, Is Accounts Payable An Asset, Bb Gandanghari Los Angeles, Hyundai Kona Elektro, Cheryl Burke Wedding Dress, Asus Vg278qr Panel Type, Faraday Future Price, Way To Go Origin, Bhagam Bhag 2, Mazda 6, Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 Price, Los Angeles Dodgers World Series Championships 1988, Rapidweaver Forum, 2005 Ford Gt 0-60, Apollo Ie Price, How Many Books Did Roald Dahl Write, Adobe Indesign 2020 Tutorial, Shelley Hennig Net Worth, Metricon Stadium Afl Tickets, Sensorless Vector Control, Toyota Corolla Radio Replacement, Jean Mientus, Ava Gardner Facts, You Don't Love Me No More Avant, The Scorpion King 2 Filmyzilla, Vauxhall Ampera, Age Of Criminal Responsibility By State, Fastest 0-60 For The Money, The Letter Book, The Vampire's Assistant Full Movie 123movies, Living Dead Girl Meaning, Am General, Toyota Sienna Interior, Flipside Band Songs, Uss Albacore Ss218, Chris Woods Linkedin, Porsche 918 Spyder Horsepower, Infinity Symbol Text, Up The Yangtze Summary, Msi Optix Mag272cr Drivers, Sneak Preview Ultrasound, The Yardbirds – Having A Rave Up With The Yardbirds, Ford Fusion 2020, Coupe Car, Dojo Quest, The Zoo Story Analysis, Jojo Singer Net Worth 2020, Same Ol' Situation, Hercules Movie Live-action, Lexus Rx 330 Reviews, Cream White Room Meaning, Karl Polanyi Double Movement, Ford Fusion Keyless Entry Factory Code, Two Piece Swimsuit Tankini, Bernard Lagat Family, Cars Being Discontinued In 2020, Senegal Religion, Jeffrey Charles Tarpley, Black Edge Book Review, Hku Acceptance Rate 2019, Silk Chocolate, Bmw 2 Seater Coupe, Infiniti Q50 2015 Price Used, Eib Network Radio Stations, Jordan Wilkins Dynasty, Hartpury University Address, Darkness At Noon Analysis, 2022 Porsche Macan, Square Careers, Don Shula Son, Hummer Price Philippines 2020, Renault News Today, Peugeot 2008 Wiki, Br'er Fox Wikia,

השאר תגובה

המייל שלך לא יפורסם אל דאגה

אתר זה עושה שימוש באקיזמט למניעת הודעות זבל. לחצו כאן כדי ללמוד איך נתוני התגובה שלכם מעובדים.