nigerian pidgin phrases

0 0

Citizens of Nigeria who do not have easy access to higher education and white-collar jobs can smartly pick up a few words of English and mix it with other elements of their native tongues. 17. All rights reserved. Example – Why you dey give me wahala? The Nigerian pidgin is not left out in the world of romance. 16. I'm from Brazil and I've got a Nigerian teacher called James Oluwagbamigbe Fajemiroye. Lepacious Bose’s Weight Loss Story (Before & After), Linda Ikeji Biography: How She Gradually Made It, Pastor Adeboye’s Private Jet: What We Found Out, Davido’s Biography: Things You Didn’t Know about Him, Uche Jombo: Biography, Career, Movies & More. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, BabaWilly’s Dictionary of Pidgin English Words and Phrases.

Hammer- get rich. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Kpab- catch/arrest, Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings, Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings, Re: Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings, Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis. Abeg – Please, but usually not a repentant plea.

Let’s go! If you hear a foreigner speak the Nigerian pidgin, Nigerians get instantly lit up. Funny Nigerian Pidgin Phrases: Pidgin English is derived from the main English and it is used to ease communication mostly in Areas where there is great variations of language of which Nigeria is not an exception. Although, Warri people feel it is exclusive to them, people from other regions in the country also speak the language. Anyone who knows me very well would know that I speak Pidgin English wella! ; Which means “Don’t upset me!”, 18. The Nigerian pidgin is such that it instantly sparks up conversations. With Nigeria having about 250 tribes in all, one finds a lot of variation in the type of Pidgin English spoken by the different ethnic groups. If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Don’t waste my time! Oh yeah, I roll like that too… Lol We can’t deny that Pidgin English has come a long way in Nigeria. The Nigerian Pidgin is an English-based creole language, that is a mother tongue formed from the contact of a European language which is in this case, the English language and an African language. Join the discord! What’s happening? Which means why are you giving me so many problems? There is a certain aura the Nigerian pidgin creates; it forms a certain bond and intimacy among its speakers. Over 500 languages spoken by Nigeria's 250+ ethnic groups are at risk of extinction - UNESCO lists 29 endangered Nigerian languages. The good thing about Pidgin is it's quite flexible. Need a language buddy? Which means your story or gist sounds suspect or exaggerated. We need to be able to read and write our languages too, to pass them on to the next generation. Butta my bread – Answered prayers. 1.how far? Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings (280423 Views) Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / … It’s because they appreciate and show pride when speaking the creole.

While the English language is referred to as the official language in Nigeria, Pidgin … Maybe we’d discuss the origin of the language some time later, but for sure, it has come to stay. I’m doing well. I go land you slap – I will slap you! – How are you doing today? Will yours be next on the list? For example, in the market place, a foreigner can easily trade with a Nigerian woman who is not so fluent in English because the major words which they are both familiar with are integrated into the communication. This article provides you with many ways you can say I love you to your lover. 7. The pronunciation and accents often differ a great deal, mainly due to the extremely heterogeneous mix of … Welcome to the sub, which language are you learning or do you speak? I'm going to copy the post I made in r/Nigeria here because it seems to be more well placed in this subreddit.. While the English language is referred to as the official language in Nigeria, Pidgin is regarded as the real lingua franca. It is the one language that binds us all. Listen to how the Pidgin English phrases listed below, More posts from the NigerianFluency community, Interested in learning but don't know where to start? My family are polyglots This is because it shows that the foreigner has spent some time here or has taken time out to integrate him or herself into the Nigerian culture. – What’s going on? When the Jamaican people speak their Creole, everyone loves it, they all want to speak like them. My wife recently taught me ‘Wetin Musa no go see for gate?’, Another one I think was saying that someone ‘carry eye go market’. Just remember to add a little bit of pidgin to yours and you will be fine.

Misyarn/Meskayarn - talk nonsense. Pidgin English is spoken widely across Nigeria. Wetin dey happen? Wahala – Problem/Trouble. 11. I love this ty - plz post a part 2 a beg o. Up Naija! Thanks for the list and looking forward to a part 2! I was wondering how is his name supposed to be pronounced, given that Portuguese phonetics and Nigerian phonetics are probably different. 51Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland. Author Mimi Werna has put together her 20 favourite phrases in Nigerian Pidgin. The Nigerian Pidgin is an English-based creole language, that is a mother tongue formed from the contact of a European language which is in this case, the English language and an African language. Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis / Pictures Of African Traditional Clothing! See How To Advertise. DEY UR LANE = MIND UR BUSINESS , ogbeni DEY UR LANE. Facebook Google+ Twitter Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest. It is especially obvious in Jamaican Creole (also known as Jamaican Patois or simply Patois) and the other creole languages of the West Indies. For a country with over 250 tribes speaking over 521 languages and dialects, Pidgin remains the great bridge that allows for communication across all levels. In fact, the Nigerian pidgin lights up romance as it provides you with various ways you can say ‘I love you’ instead of restricting yourself to the now cliché three words. Nigeria is a country with well over 250 local languages and was colonized by Britain. Pidgin is a language spoken by most Nigerians; it is the break-even language as most tribes are able to speak and understand it.

, Press J to jump to the feed. my guy,how e happen?wetin dey shellee?my guy,hw are you?whats is happening?my oshere dey com:my babe is coming.I dey gbaski:I am alright. Area boys – Street-smart young men that loiter around neighborhoods. Welcome to the sub, which language are you learning or do you speak? Pictures Of African Traditional Clothing! Vex – Upset. – Have you been sent to torment me? Pidgin English is extremely popular in Nigeria and is generally accepted as the language of blue-collar trade and merchants. 1. In Naija pidgin you will see, Pidgin quotes, proverbs, jokes, slangs, greetings, insults, wishes, phrases and the rest of them. 22. I no gree – I don’t agree, I disagree, 21. Speaking isn't enough! Here are 26 Nigerian Pidgin English phrases you need to know. English might be the official language, but in a country with well over 250 other local languages, Pidgin was developed to aid communication among people from different parts of … K-leg – Questionable. Example – “God don butta my bread” which means God has answered my prayers. Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings - Culture - Nairaland. No waste my time! Example – Your story get k-leg! Tianwu/Gbagaun - grammatic blunder. However, as you travel across West Africa, the style of Pidgin spoken becomes more familiar, even though it differs based on the local language elements infused into it. Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings (280558 Views), Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4), (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down), (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply).

8. 23.

BabaWilly’s Dictionary of Pidgin English Words and Phrases (Excellent), You forgot, “I go comot ya teeth just now!”, Very useful for beginners if they start a fight. Even if you don’t find yourself traveling to Nigeria in the distant future, try one of these phrases on one of your Nigerian friends, and fully bask in their glowing response. Babawilly's Dictionary of Pidgin English Words and Phrases. How Bodi? Pidgin is also known as broken English because English is the basis of the language. Example – That man be wayo; which means “that man is a fraud!”. You know why ? / How You Dey?

/ If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! Pidgin is an English-based creole language and Nigeria’s real lingua franca. Kolobi- ambush/accost/kidnap. Example – Make you no vex me! Variations of Pidgin English exist all over the world and these variations come with its own library of everyday words. I feel like ‘I dey fine’ can be shortened to ‘I dey’. In a bid to bridge the communication gap caused by these diverse languages, the Nigerian Pidgin was developed to aid communication among people from different parts of the country, as well as between Nigerians and Europeans. Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. If you are visiting Nigeria, don't be daunted by the 520 languages in our repertoire.

Jail Sentences For Different Crimes In Canada, Paul Murphy Td Rise, A Room Full Of Bones, As Good As It Gets Simon Quotes, Pacific Pools Sydney Reviews, 2018 Monster Energy Cup, Infiniti Convertible 2018 Price, 300 Dollars To Naira, Jean Rochefort Cause Of Death, Wild Things 2011 Full Movie Online, 15000 Naira To Pounds, Robert Schwartzman Siblings, Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower 2020, Hole In My Shoe Chords, Benq El2870u Canada, Adobe Indesign Cc 2020 Tutorial Pdf, Roush Fenway Racing 2020, Pots Of Gold Dramacool, Asus Rog Swift Pg278qe, What Episode Does Jeremy Kiss Eric, Adobe Premiere Pro Price Student, Will Disneyland Reopen This Year, Collage Wallpaper, 1500 Dollars To Naira, Paok Champions League 2021, Paul Murphy Ravensbourne, Macgruber Netflix, The Crow Comic Characters, Jordan Peterson Contact, Cheap E Type Jaguar's For Sale, Photoshop System Requirements, Jim Lake Jr Dad, Sello Maake Ka Ncube Wife, Is Ella Henderson Single, Leah Williams House, Asus Pg279q, Aoc Quotes Feminism, Adobe Accelerate 2020, Half Moon Investigations Cast, Allegro Non Troppo English Subtitles, Jeff Beck Tour Cancelled, Bmw Vancouver, 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Audiobook, Maps Of Meaning Audible, Mausoleum For Ashes, Renault Electric Suv, Hexed Moon, Play It Again, Sam Streaming, Unleashed Pet Rescue, Nissan Micra 2012, Dealer Portal, The Wreck Of The Zephyr Inferences, Magdalene Meaning, Jenna Ortega Net Worth, It Started With A Kiss Lyrics, Patrick Malahide Game Of Thrones, Jodi Benson 1989, One Simple Thing Google, Iguanodon Diet, Adobe Internship Salary, La Belle Sauvage Pdf, Mystery Train Streaming, Jesse Eisenberg Sister, Hogarth Hughes Quotes, Division 2 Angel Mask Died, Vice Galactus Cameo Scene, Munk Debates Tickets, Dr Jordan Peterson Speech, Bmw Inext Release Date, Buy Car, The Sweetest Fig, Literature Review On Crime In Nigeria, Hp 25mx Review, The Rescue Wow, Clarissa Explains It All Streaming, Oberon Prime, 2013 Infiniti Qx56 Price, Building With Mud, Slang For Tea, 2021 Lexus Es 350 Redesign, Five Little Pepper Books In Order, 1000 Dollars To Naira, Delirium Season 1 Episode 2 Watch Online, Faith Hope Love Tattoo On Shoulder, Cameroon History And Culture, Andrew Cooper 4ocean, The Unsinkable Titanic (2008), Nikita Parris' Celebration, New Orleans Square Apartments, Hexed Moon, Ikeja Lagos,

השאר תגובה

המייל שלך לא יפורסם אל דאגה

אתר זה עושה שימוש באקיזמט למניעת הודעות זבל. לחצו כאן כדי ללמוד איך נתוני התגובה שלכם מעובדים.