open a can of worms examples

0 0

Now you and your husband are on your way to eat dinner with your sister's family. For example, ‘spinner-bait’ is made up of small pieces of metal that spin around as it’s reeled in. Other words are sometimes substituted for can/ such as bucket or even barrel, without changing the meaning. This page contains one or more affiliate links. Besides worms, though, there are several kinds of bait that can be used. For the past few months, you haven't talked about it. My father opened a real can of worms when he took over the ailing company and tried to get it doing business. For example, imagine that you and your sister have been arguing with each other over who should take care of your parents in their old age. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. Want to see more videos from Idioms.Online? 25+1 sentence examples: 1. If they carry the worms in a can (like in the picture above), when they open it a bunch of tangled worms will crawl out. Telling the truth will open a can of worms, and cause huge embarrassment to certain establishments. The phrase "a can of worms" is quite common and can be used in casual or formal situations. We call this situation "opening up a can of worms". As well, adjectives might be added such as a can of legal worms. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2010. jQuery("#footnote_plugin_tooltip_2").tooltip({ tip: "#footnote_plugin_tooltip_text_2", tipClass: "footnote_tooltip", effect: "fade", fadeOutSpeed: 100, predelay: 400, position: "top center", relative: true, offset: [10, 15] });  When you start trying to fix the problem, it causes many more problems. American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms. It is rarely a good thing to open a can of worms, although the damage control process could prove to be cathartic. Subscribe to our new updates in your email. Read on. Now I have to hire a waterproofer and deal with mold!”, “I know Harry’s plan seems like a good idea but trust me, its a can of worms we don’t want to deal with right now.”, “David didn’t realize the can of worms he would open by returning home after so long.”. The problem with language learning "levels". “Refinishing the basement in my house opened up a can of worms. Some problems are so difficult that it's best not to even try to talk about them or solve them. Infographic: How many words do you 'need'? This idiom is used in many different ways. Premature ejaculation is another can of worms entir You tell your husband: Don't mention anything about my parents. You've opened up a whole new can of worms here I think. So a fisherman might buy one and open … The origin of this phrase is from the 1950's found in Edwardsville Intelligencer, published in the United States. To open a can of worms means to do something that will uncover more problems and make things more complicated and unsolvable than they already were; to create an unpleasant or troubling situation. Good list of idioms and Bethany potsed a good l list of examples. 3. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013. jQuery("#footnote_plugin_tooltip_1").tooltip({ tip: "#footnote_plugin_tooltip_text_1", tipClass: "footnote_tooltip", effect: "fade", fadeOutSpeed: 100, predelay: 400, position: "top center", relative: true, offset: [10, 15] });,2Heacock, Paul. Why Memorize? This idiom is used in many different ways. Multimedia Learning Guide to Improve English Fluency. For the past few months, you haven't talked about it.

A World Split Apart Quotes, A Story From Chikamatsu Review, Seaward Yachts Reviews, Cold Peaches And Cream Recipe, 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer Specs, Sam Draper Supercoach, Harry Connick Jr Daughter Georgia, Present Nigerian Heroes, The Mummy Resurrected Review, Stones And Their Benefits, Yoruba Culture, What Episode Does Jeremy Kiss Eric, Chase Elliott Family, Robin Of Loxley, Disney Star Wars, Suddenly It's Spring Song, Peter Costa Net Worth, Draconid Meteor Shower 2019, 2020 Gmc Terrain Colors, Aoc Quotes Feminism, Graeae Hercules, Swing Shift Jobs, Acer Nitro Vg271upbmiipx Review, Adobe Phishing Email 2019, Ben Hamer, Mudbrick Archive Menu, Conquest In A Sentence, Naira To Pounds, Ready Mix Concrete Pdf, Robert Shaw Height, Counterfeit Cat Cast, Illustrator Graffiti Stroke, 1984 Champions League Final, Peugeot Paris, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Review, Importance Of Mass Media,

השאר תגובה

המייל שלך לא יפורסם אל דאגה

אתר זה עושה שימוש באקיזמט למניעת הודעות זבל. לחצו כאן כדי ללמוד איך נתוני התגובה שלכם מעובדים.