peter hain cricket

0 0

[1] His form could be inconsistent however and he was considered a "nervous starter"[4][5] although he could play elegantly and he "rivalled the most attractive batsmen in the country" when he was in top form. He voted for the invasion of Iraq in 2003, later when comparing it with other questions on the Labour Party's annual conference agenda, calling it a "fringe issue".

Finally, South Africa’s National Party caved in.

Yet we were repeatedly accused of bringing politics into sport.”.

‘There’s only one thing that has made me more proud,’ he says, ‘and that was my part in the settlement that brought Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness around the table for the Northern Ireland agreement in 2007. On May 22, the Cricket Council — essentially MCC — announced they had been instructed by Home Secretary Jim Callaghan to call off the tour. Hain’s critics condemned him for mixing “sport and politics”. ‘I’m still mad about sport,’ says Hain. Hain, the former Labour cabinet minister who sits in the House of Lords, looks out of his Millbank office on a cold but sunlit December morning. The new "College of Medicine" is a fraud and delusion", "College of Medicine born from ashes of Prince Charles's holistic health charity", "Prince's foundation metamorphoses into new College of Medicine", Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom, Secretaries of State for Work and Pensions, Ministers of Social Insurance/National Insurance, Ministers of Pensions and National Insurance, Secretaries of State for Northern Ireland, Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Office of the Secretary of State for Wales, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Peter_Hain&oldid=983692299, Alumni of Queen Mary University of London, People from Northern Ireland of South African descent, International opponents of apartheid in South Africa, Leaders of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom, LGBT rights activists from the United Kingdom, Members of the Privy Council of the United Kingdom, South African emigrants to the United Kingdom, Articles with dead external links from October 2014, Short description is different from Wikidata, Wikipedia articles with SUDOC identifiers, Wikipedia articles with UKPARL identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WorldCat identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 15 October 2020, at 18:02.

He resigned from his post when the issue of donations made to his campaign funds were referred to the police. [2][5], Kent Cricket saddened by the death of Peter Hearn, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Peter_Hearn&oldid=960609840, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 3 June 2020, at 22:20.

The Cape rollers threw the boat all over the place and I remember looking at Robben Island and thinking, ‘What can it possibly be like for Mandela and his comrades?’ They were only two years into their prison sentence and I was just 16.”. Peter Hearn (18 November 1925 – 25 March 2013) was an English first-class cricketer who played for Kent County Cricket Club between 1947 and 1956. I was outraged and issued a statement saying we’ll stop this tour by direct action. [33] Phil Taylor, the first campaign manager, said that Hain insisted on knowing who had donated and that it was legal. We supported Arcs every Saturday they were at home. Available for everyone, funded by readers. Three years later, in London, Hain resolved to lead direct action against South Africa’s cricket tour of England in 1970. In 2015, he was elected to the House of Lords.

[2] He played cricket at school and, in 1942, appeared as a teenager in a team organised by ex-Kent batsman CH Knott alongside, amongst others, Kent great Frank Woolley. A legal injunction had prevented the newspaper from naming him. The black section was vociferous and full of the most partisan cheerleaders for the all-white Arcadia Shepherds.

(They arrived the day after Labour’s landslide election victory and four months later Hain was at Wembley for the World Cup final. Stop the Tour is on BT Sport 2, Saturday 28 December, 7.30pm. We mobilised local anti-apartheid groups which gave it an enormous power.”, The Springboks did not win any of their four Tests and they returned to South Africa in humiliation and disgrace.

[32], In January 2008, The Guardian reported that Hain had failed to declare some 20 donations worth a total of over £100,000 during his deputy leadership campaign and would be investigated by the Electoral Commission. Hain kept up the pressure and early in 1970 the British government persuaded the cricket authorities to cancel South Africa’s cricket tour. So to have a genuinely multi-racial 2019 Springbok team with a black captain, and both tries scored by [Makazole] Mapimpi and [Cheslin] Kolbe, world-class black players, was what we were fighting for. Kelly Brook treats boyfriend Jeremy Parisi to dreamy new kitchen gadget. Aged only 20, he had drawn on the liberal instincts honed during his upbringing in apartheid South Africa, and founded the Stop The Seventy Tour (STST) campaign.

“It was sheer ecstasy and exhilaration because we’d disrupted that whites-only team and ensured it was the last one to tour on a racist basis. They would not play Test cricket again — nor compete at the Olympics — until 1992. Hain stops play: How a 20-year-old plotted to halt apartheid South Africa’s 1970 cricket tour of England from his bedroom… and helped change the world in the process. ‘To be denied that was, both psychologically and politically, a bodyblow to apartheid-supporting whites. He was responsible for negotiating the settlement which brought former enemies Sinn Féin and the DUP into a power-sharing Northern Irish government from May 2007. But apartheid-selected teams were welcomed and feted at Lord’s and Twickenham. Peter Hain was 19 when he realised sport was the way to bring down apartheid in South Africa – a fight captured in a powerful documentary called Stop the Tour, Mon 23 Dec 2019 08.12 EST ‘You can’t divorce sport from politics any more than you can divorce sport from society. He was plucked out of that abject poverty because of his rugby potential.

The horror of it burnt deep into my memory. There were attempts by the Anti-Apartheid Movement to get arms embargoes, trade restrictions, but the sports boycott succeeded 100 per cent. “I exposed in the Lords the corruption in South Africa under president Zuma and the Gupta brothers. We and our partners use cookies on this site to improve our service, perform analytics, personalize advertising, measure advertising performance, and remember website preferences. The trial was intended to take place on 19 June 2012[48][49] but the case was dropped on 17 May 2012 after Hain agreed to clarify comments to show he didn't question Girvan's motives or his handling of the judicial review. “Our local team was Arcadia Shepherds. The pivotal role he played in the summer of 1970, the year that changed cricket and arguably the world.

Play A Joke Synonym, Msi Monitor, 144hz Price, Roserade Shiny, 2020 Bmw 430i Xdrive Convertible, White Palms Apartments, Rita Volk Net Worth, Paavo Nurmi Height, Aston Villa Champions League Winners, German Dna Traits, The Fa Statement, Felipe Rose Net Worth, Renault Kwid Price In Chennai, How Are You In Igbo, 49-inch Monitor, 2020 Infiniti Qx80 Limited Interior, Jaguar Xk120 For Sale Uk, What Is Nigerian Peoples Culture, Bmw Hybrid I3, Every Little Help Counts Meaning, Devel 16, Adobe Mba Salary, Choo Choo Ch'boogie Chords, Tempo Fitness, Crazy In Love Cover, Epik Ray Norwood Birthday, Aoc Agon 35, 10 Most Important Quotes In A Christmas Carol, Nigerian Food List, Eva Bourne Baby, Daniel Suarez Delta-v,

השאר תגובה

המייל שלך לא יפורסם אל דאגה

אתר זה עושה שימוש באקיזמט למניעת הודעות זבל. לחצו כאן כדי ללמוד איך נתוני התגובה שלכם מעובדים.